Whether it’s building a Habitat House, participating in a Rebuilding Together Project, doing local cleanups, sprucing up a school, or figuring out how to create a community garden on a vacant lot, this site is dedicated to sharing the stories of Realtors who help their communities as well as the people who benefit from these efforts. The good news is that small improvements in one small area can cause an entire neighborhood to experience a turnaround.
When Is Spruce Up Day?
Spruce Up Day can be any day where Realtors come together to clean up, renovate, or improve the overall appearance of a local neighborhood as well as helping residents who may lack the funds or the ability to make these changes on their own.
Who Can Participate?
Any real estate professional including residential and commercial agents, lenders, title, and industry vendors as well as any one in the community who is willing to donate their time and effort is welcome to join in this effort.
How to Participate
To participate, send us a short description of what you did to spruce up a property or neighborhood and 1-3 pictures and/or a video. If you have posted any of these as an Instagram story or a YouTube video, send us the link and we will add that to our site as well. We’re especially interested in any videos where the people being assisted share how this work has helped them and/or their neighborhood or community.
What Can You Do?
Here are 17 ways that Realtors have used to spruce up their local neighborhoods, either individually or with a group:
- Arrange for bulk pickup of large trash and discarded items through your local trash collection service.
- Clean up a beach or a local waterway.
- Collect recyclables and take them to a recycling center.
- Collect anti-freeze, oil, batteries, paint and other potentially toxic substances and arrange for a safe disposal of these items.
- Help install storm windows for someone who is unable to do so.
- Help a group such as Wounded Warriors, a group home that serves the needs of disabled adults, etc. to spruce up their property or location.
- Mulch plants at a local park.
- Pass out batteries for smoke detectors and recycle the old ones.
- Paint over graffiti.
- Pick up trash on the roads or streets.
- Plant flowers, bulbs, or other cold or drought resistant plants.
- Rake leaves out of garden beds and borders. Shred them or leave them whole and place them in a compost pile.
- Repair, paint, and/or upgrade the equipment at a local playground.
- Replace broken windows.
- Spruce up a local school.
- Start a Habitat for Humanity House or work with your local chapter of Rebuilding Together on one of their projects.
- Spruce up a neighbor’s property that has become an eyesore because they are physically or financially unable to care for it.
Share the Good News about What You Do!
If you would like to be part of this initiative, please upload pictures and/or videos to Instagram or YouTube(#SpruceUpDay) and let us know by filling out the following contact form.
Thank you for making a difference— Spread the word to spruce up!
Dog Beach Cleanup Day